An FDA plant used no steam amine treatment in their condensate system for 15 years. In that time, iron throw from the condensate caused iron deposition in the boiler water tubes and condensate pipes, plugging the condensate traps.
ChemTreat used a common steam and condensate return header for returning condensate with a proprietary neutralizing amine. The total makeup water alkalinity was less than 10 mg/L, translating to chemical treatment in the same or lower ppm of inhibitor.
After three years of treatment, the following results were achieved:
- 50% reduction in iron throw
- 90% decrease in pipe and elbow replacements
- 70% reduction in condensate trap repair
- 0.09 mg/L or lower condensate return iron
- Less iron in the water tubes
Results are examples only. They are not guaranteed. Actual results may vary.